A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

A way to remember

Today is the last day of November and the end of Thanksgiving weekend.   That also means that it is less than a week until what would have been Dan's 8th Birthday.
 
Many people do a Random Act of Kindness Day in memory of a loved one.  But that isn't what I'm thinking.

Every year, on the first Sunday in December, all Elks lodges have a Memorial Sunday to remember those Elk members who have passed during the last year.  This ceremony is open to the public and is very moving.
 
Faron and I joined our local Elks lodge just a few weeks before Dan died.  They opened their banquet room to us and many people volunteered food for after his ceremony. 
 
The Memorial Sunday also honors all our military.  To us, Dan was our little soldier - he was born on Pearl Harbor Day and died on Veteran's Day.
 
So, this year, I am asking my readers to find your local elks lodge (go here and type in your zip code or use your mobile's GPS to find a local lodge).  Then contact the lodge to find out what time the ceremony is on Sunday.  And finally, take an hour or so out of your day to attend the ceremony.  In memory of Dan.  In memory of our veterans.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)