A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Kid Friendly Ways to Promote Awareness

October is Niemann Pick Disease Awareness Month.

I've posted about Goodsearch.  I've posted other easy ways to promote awareness.  Here are some easy kid friendly ways.  Obviously, don't think these are the only options out there.  If you have an idea, do it!

Top 5 Kid-Friendly Ideas

These are "tried and true" activities that have been done by NNPDF families and supporters to raise awareness and funds, all while having fun with the kids!

1. Have a lemonade stand or sell outgrown books and toys or have a bake sale to raise money for research.
2. Have a backyard carnival with lawn games, water games, contests, etc., to bring the neighborhood together in support of those affected by Niemann-Pick Disease.
3. When hosting a birthday party, ask that guests make a donation to the foundation in honor of the birthday child in lieu of bringing gifts.
4. Have a walk-a-thon or a bowl-a-thon and pizza party with proceeds to benefit the NNPDF.
5. In cooperation with a local ball club (or other sports team), sell tickets to a game with a portion of the proceeds to benefit the NNPDF in honor of a local child affected by NPD.

2 comments:

  1. Jill - Sarah posted about raising awareness yesterday on The Joy of Jacob blog. I will repeat what I said to her in hopes that you and all of the other families will know that you and your babies ARE making a difference in the lives of many: "It brings tears to my eyes each time I read about the struggle for understanding that each of our NPD blogging families (and of course, all families carrying similar burdens)faces on a daily basis. It also brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart to see the courage and grace with which you face those struggles. Please know that all of you - Deanna, Chelsea, Shannon, Lori, Eileen, and Jill to name a few, have made and continue to make such a huge impact. You are right - I had never heard of this disease and now raising awareness and supporting research is a major focus in my family. That is due soley to the generosity of you blogging moms - you have have made your precious babies OUR precious babies and your families OUR families. You are real people to your readers, not just statistics and so we respond as we do to real people - with love and concern. I am honored to play even a small part in helping to wipe this ugly disease out for good."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy for reading and sharing all of our stories with others. Although you have not been personally touched with NPD, I know that you have been emotionally touched and that helps us help others.

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)