A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year, New Word

Late last year, I saw a series of words from friends on Facebook and a link

After the difficult year I had last year, I wanted to focus on something.  So I thought about it and made these two posts on my Facebook page on January 1:

My goal for 2012?  To be a teacher and an advocate in my own way for all those kids and parents with special needs that need help.  Special needs are not illnesses and are not contagious, so we need to teach others too.  Will you join me in any way you can?  (commitment not needed now, but consider it).

My word?  Helpful.

I think I was helpful.  I started this blog. I continued my Facebook group for those with special needs. I held a fundraiser.  I supported others. I wrote a couple of magazine articles.  Only my friends and family can tell me if I really was helpful.

One of the other mothers who has lost her son to Niemann-Pick, Type A, posted her word on her blog the other day.  And I do understand where she and her family are coming from. 


So what is my word for 2013?  

BELIEVE

10 comments:

  1. I love your word for 2013. I'm a new follower via the Thumping Thursday blog hop. I can't wait to read more and get to know you better this year.

    Tasia
    http://tasiatalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, you can believe you were helpful to many people in 2011, and 2012! And I have no doubt you will continue to be in 2013. There are too many words to describe you and what you do for others! I am thankful for the support you gave me in my "tough" year, while you were having the worst year of your life! Hopefully, we helped each other! ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We leaned on each other this past year. You helped keep me grounded this past year. I know we will be there for each other this year.

      Delete
  3. :( First time visitor, returning the visit and follow from the blog hop. So sorry that this is your story. I know that it's your story, but no mama should have to live it... From what I can see *the 10 or so posts I've read, you are an inspiring mama! Helping others from your own place of hurt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I’m your newest follower. Please stop by and say hi when you have a chance. I'm also hosting a blog hop - if you would like to join us :) Hope you're having an awesome week.

    April from:
    A Mommy's Blog Design http://amblogdesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill,
    Happy New Year! BELIEVE is a great word. It's what gets us through the day. Everything we do is based on a belief of some sort.
    For what it's worth, you were helpful in teaching me about Niemann-Pick. I had never heard of it and I went to nursing school. I'm looking forward to see what you make of BELIEVE.
    Thank you for linking up with us on Thumping Thursdays.

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karina! I can't wait to see where it takes me either. NPD is so rare, even if you had heard of it, it was probably outdated info.

      Delete
  6. This is they first year I am doing a word - I chose "create order" - I know it is two words but I couldn't find one that combined these 2 things!!!

    (hopping over from the blog hop)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your choice! Sometimes two words are needed to make it clear what you want to do. There are so many places and things to do with that - you can do it!

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)