A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Elks Memorial Sunday

The First day in December is designated as Elks Memorial Sunday, and it is mandatory for all Elk Lodges to conduct a Memorial service for the members who have passed away during the year. 



 This day remembers all those Elks who have passed away with a special dedication to those who have been lost since the last Memorial.  

There is also a special recognition to those veterans who have been lost and those who continue to fight, as well as a dedication to those lost on September 11, 2001.

This is a public ceremony and is very moving and touching. If you ever have a chance to attend, please take the time to do so.

This year, the poem below got me choked up:

TO MY DEAREST FAMILY:

Some things I'd like to say
but first of all to let you know
that I arrived okay

I'm writing this from Heaven
where I dwell with God above
where there's no more tears
or sadness there, is just eternal love

Please do not be unhappy
just because I'm out of sight
remember that I'm with you
every morning, noon and night

That day I had to leave you
when my life on Earth was through
God picked me up and hugged me
and He said I welcome you

It's good to have you back again
you were missed while you were gone
as for your dearest family
they'll be here later on

I need you here so badly
as part of My big plan
there's so much that we have to do
to help our mortal man

Then God gave me a list of things
He wished for me to do
and foremost on that list of mine
is to watch and care for you

And I will be beside you
every day and week and year
and when you're sad, I'm standing there
to wipe away the tear

And when you lie in bed at night
the days chores put to flight
God and I are closest to you
in the middle of the night

When you think of my life on Earth
and all those loving years
because you're only human
they are bound to bring you tears

But do not be afraid to cry
it does relieve the pain
remember there would be no flowers
unless there was some rain

I wish that I could tell you
of all that God has planned
but if I were to tell you
you wouldn't understand

But one thing is for certain
though my life on Earth is o're
I am closer to you now
than I ever was before

And to my very many friends
trust God knows what is best
I'm still not far away from you
I'm just beyond the crest

There are rocky roads ahead of you
and many hills to climb
but together we can do it
taking one day at a time

It was always my philosophy
and I'd like it for you too
that as you give unto the World
so the World will give to you

If you can help somebody
who is in sorrow or in pain
then you can say to God at night
my day was not in vain

And now I am contented
that my life it was worthwhile
knowing as I passed along the way
I made somebody smile

So if you meet somebody
who is down and feeling low
just lend a hand to pick him up
as on your way you go

When you are walking down the street
and you've got me on your mind
I'm walking in your footsteps
only half a step behind

And when you feel the gentle breeze
or the wind upon your face
that's me giving you a great big hug
or just a soft embrace

And when it's time for you to go
from that body to be free
remember you're not going
you are coming here to me

And I will always love you
from that land way up above
Will be in touch again soon
P.S. God sends His Love

--Author Unknown 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)