A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Time Off for Grief

I did a Google search for websites related to Dads and grief. I knew there had to be some out there.  The first site I found was Grieving Dads Project.

The second item on the blog was a link to an opinion piece written by a grieving dad.

I usually don't get into politics here, as it can become a heated discussion, with strong views on each side.
But this article is important, because it affects all of us - those who are grieving and those who aren't. Is a week really enough time to adjust to the loss of a child?

The first item on the list is a beautiful poem to Hallmark, which I have seen in other places too:

Dear Mr. Hallmark ….. One More Time
Hello there Mr. Hallmark man,
I wrote to you in May
To ask that words of love be shared
With my mom on Mother’s Day.
Just as there is no card for Mom
To let her know I care,
There is no card for my dad, too,
And I have so much to share.
It’s very hard for my loving dad
To know that I’m okay.
To protect me was his job, he feels,
So he thinks he failed some way.
Although I had to leave this world,
While still considered young,
There is no way he ever failed—
There’s no more he could have done.
My dad he tends to question
Those things he cannot see.
I always send him little signs
To say, “Hey, Dad, it’s me!”
I hear him crying in the car,
The shower hides his tears.
He feels he has to be so strong
For those he holds so dear.
My dad he often gets so mad
At what became of me.
He wants so much to understand,
He says, “How could this be?”
I somehow need to let him know,
Though impossible it seems—
For him to live and laugh again
Will fulfill so many dreams.
The card I need to send right now
To a dad as great as mine,
Will thank him for the love he gave
Throughout my brief lifetime.
He’s still the one that I call Dad,
Our bond’s forever strong,
‘Cuz even though he can’t see me,
Our love lives on and on.
Please help me find a way
To tell my dad that when
It comes his time to leave the earth
I’ll be waiting there for him.
And also, Mr. Hallmark man,
Please help him to believe,
That nothing will ever change the fact
That my dad he’ll always be.

1 comment:

  1. Jill - I never thought about it, but now that it's been brought to my attention, I am wondering why the family medical leave act didn't always include the death of a child. That article is going directly to my FB page!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)