A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Focus On Your Strengths

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode Challenge – Day 2: Focus On Your Strengths

It is so easy to compare yourself to other women. You worry about what you don’t have that someone else does. Instead of beating myself up over what I can’t do, I’m learning to appreciate and exercise my gifts.

Think about some of the personality traits, qualities, gifts, talents, and characteristics you really admire about yourself. Maybe you are naturally self-disciplined, compassionate, or hardworking. Maybe you are gifted in music, entrepreneurship, or writing. Crunching numbers, cooking and baking, or babysitting the neighborhood kids might come easily to you. Maybe you enjoy budgeting, encouraging others, or serving those in need.

Today’s Challenge
This challenge is all about you. I want you take 10 minutes to brainstorm your innate gifts, talents and abilities. Think about what really lights you up, what people rave about or what you may even take for granted because it comes so easily for you. To get in flow, stand up and stretch, turn on some music if you like. Maybe even step outside for some fresh air.


Then, set a timer for 10 minutes (I use Online-Stopwatch.com or the timer on my Smartphone) and write down what you like, admire, and appreciate about yourself. If you get stuck, call a family member, friend or colleague and ask them to tell you your top three strengths. You DO have talents and gifts, you just may need a little help recognizing them.

 

Now go for it! 
Say Goodbye to Survival Mode

You can sign up for the Challenge at the link in the picture.

***********************

Ok, so I'm working on this Challenge, just like I told you I would on Monday. But I am modifying it a bit. I'm going to work on an item a week, instead of an item a day.

Last week for Day 1 (or Week 1) this is what I wanted to do:
I've started two lists for the next few days: one for work and one for home. Some of the home list is on my weekly 5 For Five post.  I will make another home list for the weekend and then two more lists for early next week. I will keep you updated on how I do.

So how did I do? Well, I created my lists for Wed-Fri (work and home), Sat-Sun (home), and Mon-Tues (work and home).  I created the lists on my phone so I couldn't cross items off, but I was able to truly see what I thought about doing each day and what really didn't need to be done that day and could be put off for a day or two.  I was able to add a symbol to those items I did complete, and quickly found myself looking forward to having more symbols so I knew my list was getting shorter.  At the end of each time period, I deleted the items that were completed and added new ones.

So for Day 2 (or Week 2 in my case), I'm going to take 10 minutes a day and list those things I am good at.  Please readers (family, friends, others) help me out. Leave a comment below, use the contact form to the right or call or send me a message directly.  Next week I will share with you some of the items from my list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)